Saturday, August 29, 2009

Update #14 on Matt's Brother, Kevin

Another night gone by and Kevin is progressing in some areas. Dr. Fayer, the general trauma doctor, was in this morning. He said his vitals were looking good. The antibiotics are looking good and working. He does think has some pneumonia somewhere in his lungs, despite the fact the cultures never picked up on it. Kevin had several bouts of coughing last night, which is getting the gunk out of his lungs. Kevin had a small B.M. last night which was great. During the night, when the night nurse was in here with Kevin, Kevin threw up some of his food from the feeding tube. There is always the possibility of some of it getting in his lungs, but she thinks they were able to get it all. It was very good that he did while she was in here. Dr. Fayer said that the plan was still to do a tracheostomy and move his feeding tube next week some time. The feeding tube will actually go directly into the stomach.


The respiratory therapist was just in giving Kevin his routine breathing treatment. She also said that she just switched to a completely different circuit on the ventilator from a dry mode to a heated wet mode with moisture. She said that they do this after seven days. It acts kind of like a humidifier that goes directly into the lungs. She said that this allows the secretions in Kevin’s lungs to stay moist and easier to expel.

The worst area of Kevin’s injuries is in his brainstem. It is in an area of the brainstem called the Pons area. This area controls the heart, the stomach, respiratory system, coughing and consciousness (the urge to get up). It is why the doctors are most concerned about his injuries, but having better respiratory control, coughing, etc…. are encouraging signs that at least part of the area is working. Pray for Kevin to be healed.

I wanted to share a little more about Kevin. This is directly from a personal profile that he wrote about himself.

“My name is Kevin and I shoot straight. I like to joke around though and enjoy meeting people .My children are the highlights of my life next GOD. My Mom ,Dad, brothers, sister-in -law ,and their children are very close to me also .I have many special friends and extended family and they know who they are. I love my job at AMERICAN AIRLINES I’m a EXECUTIVE BOARD OFFICER for the TRANSPORT WORKERS UNION LOCAL 514.I love softball , hunting, and being involved in the community. I like to help people. I think this is what God intended us to do .I have the honor of setting on several boards. Vision 2025 , Red Cross Chapter, Red Cross Blood Services and recently I've been asked on the INCOG federal reserve Board. I know every day matters so live it like you should.”

Pray for our family as we go through this extremely difficult process. It strains and stretches, pulls and tempts to break us. My family has always been close, yet during these times our bonds are tested.

I so appreciate the last line of Kevin’s profile. ”I know every day matters so live it like you should.” This is how we should all be living.

Thank you for your prayers,
Matt, Angie and the Family

No comments:

Post a Comment