Monday, October 12, 2009

Update #70 on Kevin

This morning we got here around 8:15 AM. Kevin had another fever of 103, so we told the staff and they brought in some Tylenol. He had it in his system for about an hour and it had kicked in. His temp dropped down to 100. His doctor came in and told us that his eye appointment is set for tomorrow morning, even though his right is looking a little better (it’s still red and pink, but not as brightly colored blood red as previously). UPDATE to the temp (I started writing this an hour ago) – Now his temp has started to go back up, it is at 102, and we have some ice around some warm points of the body to help cool him down until it is okay to take his temperature again.


A family friend came up to give Kevin a haircut. I gave him a little of my gel. He is looking sharp! He does need a shave though.

Kevin got the smaller trach tube placed over the weekend. It went down in size from an 8 to a 6. It also does not have the little balloon on the end. Before he needed that to prevent aspiration. I guess that is not as much of a concern now. There has been some slowdown on capping the trach. I think the lung doctors’ opinion (he has one per week in a five week rotation) is that unless he is more alert, it would be a mistake to remove the trach completely. Normally, you would cap the trach as a way to determine tolerance for removal. But we feel that in coma stimulation and discovery there are other reasons for capping the trach and/or placing the speaking valve. For one, if he is going to make any sounds or say anything, he can only do this when his trach has at least the speaker valve on it (or when capped). For another, studies show that using smells for about ten seconds per smell can be good coma stimulation. So we do see benefit in using those methods as long as it does not hurt Kevin. I was reassured by the PA today that as long as we are here, he can be capped without danger.

There are still rumblings about moving him. While we have looked at several places for the next move, we aren’t sure if it is time yet.

For those of us from out of town (or country), we can start to feel the financial pinch. God has always provided, and we believe that he always will. It’s just in these lean times, that we look to see how God will supply.

Tomorrow Kevin has an eye appointment tomorrow so we will hopefully find out more then.

Last night was the final night of the Tulsa State Fair, so several of us went. We ended up at the knife ring toss as usual. I won a few cool knives for Kevin.

Thank you for praying,
Matt, Angie and family
_______________________________
http://www.prayforkevin.com/ (go here to read past updates)
http://prayforkevin.blogspot.com/ (or here)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kevin, I'm going to trust that Matt or Angie or someone is going to read this outloud to you. :) It's getting cooler in Verona. This week's highs have been in the low 60's... which is perfect! But, I'm a little nervous about it getting much cooler. I wear a scarf all the time. In fact, yesterday, I kept on my down vest all evening. I've never lived in winter except during my Ozark years. People keep telling me it's really dreary here - gray, gray, gray - during the winter. But right now it's beautiful. The sky is so clear that you can see the Alps perfectly. I love it! Language school is going well... it is a lot of information, though. It's hard when you're still working through one thing in your head and then the next day you have to learn something new. I feel stronger in my head than I do with my mouth. But, that's the way it starts. When I was little, I didn't really talk until I was three - and then I spoke in complete senetences. So, I'm hoping this is what is going on here. In one of my dreams last night, I spent a long time debating which tense of a word was present and which was past. Oh, goodness. Anyway... I'm praying for you, of course. Have someone hug that Matt and Angie for me. And especially that Kohl. I love his hugs. Blessings, Brother.

    ReplyDelete