Monday, October 5, 2009

Update #65 on Kevin

We are back from Kevin’s MRI. We got back around 3 PM and Kevin seemed to be sleeping soundly. We might hear something about those tomorrow. Remember, the big reason for the MRI was Kevin’s eye, but there was also brain overview scans too. I sat in the control room and watched the entire procedure. It was also a Tube MRI, as opposed to the Open MRI that I previously mentioned. Kevin did really good on no oxygen and lower heart rate throughout the procedure.


While Kevin was laying in his bed, post MRI procedure. I tried something. I had been showing my mom some candies that I picked up at CrackerBarrel recently. I got them because they reminded me of my youth. Remember those old orange marshmallowey’like ‘circus peanuts’ and the sugar sprinkled jelly orange slices? My grandma always had those in candy containers at her house. When I showed the orange peanuts to mom, she said they were one of Kevin’s favorites growing up. We read a few weeks ago about using smells in coma stimulation, so I broke one in half and put it under Kevin’s nose. I was standing on Kevin’s right side and I couldn’t see his eyes since he was leaning to the left, so I walked around. I tried it again, placing it under each nostril for a couple seconds. After about 4 seconds he started opening his left eye (his right eye was taped shut giving it a rest). I switched it back and forth under his nose and his eyelid kept opening. I told him what it was and told him that I wished I could give it to him. His eye opened really big. Then, looking back, I did something really mean…I ate it. I didn’t mean to do it, it was just natural.

An hour or so later, we had a little scare. Kevin’s heart rate jumped up and raced awhile, then it would slow down. About five or ten minutes would go by and it would do it all again. They also had issues with Kevin’s monitor, so they worked to get it changed out. It seems like Kevin is doing better now.

Thanks for praying and reading,
Matt, Angie and family
_______________________________
http://www.prayforkevin.com/ (Pre-MRI updates available here)
http://prayforkevin.blogspot.com/ (And here)

No comments:

Post a Comment