Thursday, September 3, 2009

Update #22 on Matt's Brother, Kevin

They did the UV filter procedure and Kevin has been back in his room for a couple hours. The procedure went well.


They have the tracheostomy planned for around 10 AM tomorrow, but as one doctor told me, they aren’t really schedules in hospitals. We met the doctor who is doing the feeding plug (into Kevin’s stomach). He is really great and gave us his number if we have any questions, day or night. He said he will do the feeding plug procedure, which takes about 8 minutes, sometime before or after the tracheostomy.

Tomorrow is Kohl’s birthday. He is turning 19. Pray for Kohl and the family, since we would love to have Kevin there for his son’s birthday.

Growing up, there was different times where I wanted to be like my big brothers. I remember when I was real little watching Kevin and his confidence. As a teen and young adult, Kevin’s favorite song was by Mac Davis. It was called, “Oh Lord Its Hard To Be Humble”. Here’s the chorus…

“Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
when you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror
'cos I get better looking each day
to know me is to love me
I must be a heck of a man.
O Lord it's hard to be humble
but I'm doing the best that I can.”

I remember Kevin standing looking into the mirror, smiling and singing that song….to himself and any of us that could hear him. It’s interesting, that for years I fought against the moniker of “little brother”. At a certain point I was as tall as my brothers, and then passed them. When my brothers would introduce me to people, the reply would be….”your little brother? I don’t think so. Maybe he’s your younger brother.” Oh what I would give to have Kevin introduce me as his little brother today.

Thanks for your prayers and heartfelt statements. Thanks for contributing to 742-DINE and our hotel costs. Thanks for doing laundry and bringing snacks and drinks out of love. Thanks for praying us through this.

Thanks,
Matt, Angie & family

No comments:

Post a Comment